Whenever you ask your Amazon Echo to play music, Alexa, the voice assistant that animates the device in question, tells you that the requested songs will be played via Amazon Music. Would you like to listen to the music from Spotify, Apple Music or from other streaming platform? Don’t worry, it’s a problem that can be solved in a very simple way.
If you want to play music content from your Amazon Echo using another music streaming service than the official Amazon one, you just have to carve out five minutes of your time and follow my directions.
Below, in fact, you will find detailed guidelines on how to disable Amazon Music from Alexa.
I already anticipate that this is a very simple operation: all you have to do is access the Alexa app settings, go to the music section and set your favorite streaming service from there, removing the preference for Amazon Music. For all the details, read on.
Before getting to the heart of the tutorial, going to explain how to disable Amazon Music from Alexa, there is some preliminary information about the e-commerce giant’s music streaming service that is my duty to provide you.
First of all, it must be said that today there are three versions of Amazon Music , each with different costs and characteristics: here are all the details of the case.
- Amazon Music Free – is the basic version of the service freely accessible to anyone with an Amazon account, without having to sign up for any subscription. It allows you to play songs from playlists and radio stations for free, even on Echo devices. However, there are some limitations: the songs are played in random sequence, it is not always possible to skip the tracks and there is an interruption in the advertising while listening.
- Amazon Prime Music – as easily deduced from the same name, is the version of the Amazon music streaming service included in the Amazon Prime subscription which, at a cost of 36 euros / year or 3.99 euros / month (with free trial of 30 days for new subscribers), allows you to get free deliveries in one day on many products, access to the Amazon Prime Video streaming video platformand other advantages. As far as music reproduction is concerned, access to 2 million songs is offered, it is possible to download the music locally on smartphones and tablets and there is no commercial interruption between the songs. It is also possible to play single tracks, albums, radio stations or playlists without time limits, listening or “skip”. The only thing to keep in mind is that playback is limited to only one device at a time.
- Amazon Music Unlimited – is the “full” version of Amazon Music and is totally independent of the Amazon Prime service. It offers the possibility to listen to over 60 million songs, themed playlists and personalized radio stations, all without advertisements and with the opportunity to download the contents of your interest offline. The individual subscription costs € 9.99 / month, the family subscription (which can be combined with a maximum of six accounts) costs € 14.99 / month and the one for single Echo device costs € 3.99 / month. In all cases, there is a 30-day free trial period.
Another thing to point out is that it’s not possible to deactivate Amazon Music directly from an Echo device. But you can actually deactivate it from the Alexa app for smartphones / tablets or from the Alexa Web management panel, from a computer, and replace the streaming service in question with another.
Only in the specific case of using Amazon Prime Music and Amazon Music Unlimited can the complete deactivation of the service be requested (therefore not only on Echo, but in general), which, however, will be replaced by Amazon Music Free.
The music services that can be used with Alexa, as an alternative to the solution offered directly by Amazon, are currently these: Apple Music, Deezer, Spotify.
How to Remove Amazon Music from Alexa
Without the due clarifications above, let’s get to the heart of the matter and let’s find out, therefore, how to disable Amazon Music from Alexa. Below you will find how to do it both from smartphone and tablet, using the appropriate app for Android and iOS / iPadOS , and from computer, through the Web version of the service.
From Smartphones and Tablets
If you are interested in understanding how to disable Amazon Music from Alexa through your smartphone or tablet, the first thing you need to do is start the Alexa app on your device, taking the latter and selecting the relative icon (the one with the assistant’s logo voice of Amazon ) that you find on the home screen or in the app drawer.
- First of all, install Amazon Alexa from play store if you are using Android, but if you are using iPhone or iPad, download from Apple store.
- Authorize the download via Face ID, Touch ID or Apple ID password.
- Then launch the app by pressing the Open button that appeared on the screen.
- Now that you see the main screen of the Alexa app, log in to your Amazon account (if necessary)
- Then tap the button with the horizontal lines located at the top left and select the Settings item from the menu that appears.
- At this point, select the word Music that you find in the Alexa Preferences section, tap on the item Default services and select, in the sections Default music library and Default station, the service for streaming music that you want to replace Amazon Music ( eg Spotify or Apple Music ).
- If the music streaming service with which you want to replace Amazon Music is not available in the list, add it first, by tapping on the item Connect a new service that you find in the Settings> Music screen of the app, selecting the logo of your service interest and then providing the required credentials and permits.
Deactivating Amazon Music from Alexa is also possible from a computer, by accessing the relative web management panel.
- Therefore, start the browser you usually use to surf the Net from your PC (eg Chrome)
- Go to the homepage of the service and login to your Amazon account (if necessary)
- On Alexa Web main screen, click on the Settings item in the left side menu and select the word Music and multimedia that you find on the right, in the Alexa Preferences section.
- In the new screen that is now shown to you, click on the Select predefined music services button, then select the music service you want to use as an alternative to Amazon Music (e.g. Spotify or Apple) in the sections Default Music Library and Default Station Service Music) and save your changes by clicking the Finish button.
SEE ALSO: PowerAmp Music Player App
If among the available music services you cannot find the one you are interested in, add it in advance, selecting the item Music, Videos and Books that you find in the left side menu of Alexa Web, then locate the Music section, on the right, click on the name of the service you are interested in among those listed, press the Activate button and provide the credentials relating to the associated account and the required permissions.
How to disable Amazon Music
Do you want to disable Amazon Music from Alexa in the sense that you want to unsubscribe from Amazon Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited and then switch to the Amazon Music basic plan? It can be done, of course.
As for Amazon Prime Music, being a service offered in conjunction with the subscription to Amazon Prime, you have to deactivate the subscription to the latter.