There are so many QR Scanner apps for Android and iPhone but we have picked the best among the rest. These best QR scanner apps are selected based on user reviews and our personal experience while using them. So keep reading to know more.
What is a QR Scanner App?
A QR Scanner app is simply a mobile application that “scans a QR code” (Barcode). The app can automatically recognize and read information on any QR code. The app is available on both Android and iOS operating systems.
What is a QR Code?
QR stands for “Quick Response“. QR Code is a popular type of barcode that stores important information in the form of pixels. These pixels are in square-shaped grids. QR Code requires a digital device that decodes the information to be used for different purposes.
Though it looks simple, but the information on a single barcode can be very large when scanned (decoded) with a QR app.
More Information About QR Code
Businesses nowadays have tons of information that can be displayed by simple text methods. So, everyone has shifted to QR codes. It helps in the contactless delivery of products. The delivery address and other information are stored inside the QR code.
The delivery staff just scans that QR code and the information regarding the delivery is displayed on the screen of their devices. This shows how much QR codes are important for a business to make their operations smooth.
The Covid-19 Pandemic has increased the importance of QR codes even more. From product information to payments, everything has now shifted to QR codes. Anyone can easily do the payments by scanning the QR codes.
The latest devices do not require an additional app to Scan QR codes. There is a built-in feature where you just have to point the camera at the code and the information stored in the QR code is displayed on the screen.
5 Best QR Scanner Apps for Android and iOS
Different types of scanners can be used to scan QR codes. There is a number of QR Scanner apps available for Android and iOS. The basic purpose of all of these apps is the same while they differ in the terms of features.
Yet, many devices still require an additional app to scan the QR code. We have carefully crafted a list of the 5 best QR Scanner Apps for iOS and Android. Let’s jump right away to the list:
1. QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma Play
QR & Barcode Scanner by Gamma Play is an excellent app to scan QR codes and other types of barcodes. It works very much similar to a built-in app. You just have to point the camera towards the code and it easily decodes the code and displays the information stored in it.
Key Features Are:
- This app helps to store the history of barcodes scanned through it which helps the user to keep track of products and information.
- The app automatically detects the relevant information stored in the code and works accordingly. I.e. if the barcode contains a URL, it automatically directs the user to that specific URL without doing anything. Similarly, if the code contains contact information, it saves information like phone numbers, etc.
- It contains an excellent feature of invert scanning where it can easily scan the QR codes that have squares in black and white background.
- It is available for both iOS and Android
2. Kaspersky’s QR Code Reader and Scanner
Kaspersky’s QR Code Reader and Scanner is a famous app made by Kaspersky, a renowned company for its security products. It provides all the relevant features of a QR scanner.
Key Features Are:
- As the app is made by Kaspersky, it primarily focuses on security by scanning the QR codes for any virus before displaying information.
- It filters any malicious content from the code
- It stores a history of all the scanned QR codes.
- It automatically saves data from the QR codes which can be accessed anytime from the device.
This is one of the best QR scanners due to its advanced features and its security mechanism. The app is available for both Android and iOS.
3. QR Code Reader by Scan
QR Code Reader by Scan is the third app on our list which is based on a point-to-shoot mechanism. You just have to point the camera towards the QR code to scan it and get important information.
Some Best Features Are:
- It is the most popular QR scanner on the Google Play Store. It has more than 100 million downloads.
- It is a very light app which means that it takes very little storage space on the device.
- It can scan most of the traditional barcodes.
- It is available for both iOS and Android
4. NeoReader QR & Barcode Scanner
The 4th one on our list is NeoReader QR & Barcode Scanner. If you are looking for a universal app to scan most types of codes, this app can be the best choice. It can scan QR codes, EAN, Data Matrix, Code 128, PDF 417, and Aztec Codes. It is among the most popular QR Scanners available for iOS and Android.
Key Features of the App Are:
- It can detect any type of barcode and it can scan a QR code from any direction.
- You can create your own QR code using it.
- It stores the history of scanner QR codes which can be used at any time.
- It works with a single click. It directly scans the barcode and displays information or takes the relevant action accordingly.
5. QR Droid and QR Droid Private
The last one on our list is QR Droid and QR Droid Private. It is developed by DroidLa. These two apps are different. QR Droid contains very basic features while QR Droid Private contains advanced features.
Some Important Features Are:
- It helps you to create QR codes. These codes can contain information like location, personal information, bookmarks, contacts, or data about the apps.
- It stores scan history. The difference between this app and the above ones is that it helps you to organize the stored information to be used later.
- A security-oriented feature of this app is that it does not directly open URLs and links. This helps the user to avoid potential attacks.
- It provides an on-screen widget that helps to readily scan any barcode within no time.
How to Scan a Barcode Using QR Scanner App
- Install any of the QR code Scanner app from the list above
- Open the app
- Your phone camera will be activated
- Just place the camera in a position to get the full barcode frame
- The content of the QR code will automatically pop out
- You can view more details by using the magnifying glass icon.
See the video below to see how to scan a barcode using a QR code scanner app for Android and iOS.
In a Nutshell
There are a number of options available to choose from when installing a QR scanner app. Each one provides different features. The best one recommended by us is Kaspersky’s QR Code Reader and Scanner. It is the best in terms of security and advanced features.