Adobe Flash has been for many years the technology most used by websites to show animations, to stream video and to create online games. Due to the maintenance problems, caused by the numerous security holes of the Flash plugin, and with the arrival of HTML5 technology that allows you to do the same things without the need to add plugins or external programs, the development of the Flash Player has been terminated by Adobe (the final term is at the end of 2020) and before that it was blocked by many web browsers, including Firefox, Google Chrome and also by Microsoft Edge.
The result of this block has led to the abandonment of Flash by the developers for the new websites and online games; the problem is that there are still a lot of sites still in Flash, many interesting and still useful web applications to use and the vast majority of browser games, all of which are in Flash.
It happens, therefore, that when you open a website with a flash content, a white box appears with the writing Flash is blocked ( Adobe Flash Player is blocked or Adobe Flash Player is blocked ) or, in other sites, a button with written Install or Enable Adobe Flash Player or Click to activate Flash Player, which if clicked does nothing.
For all the times you open a Flash site, to still play old Flash games (if they have not yet been converted to HTML5), then it is important to know how to unblock Flash on the main browsers, namely Chrome, Firefox and Edge for PC Windows, Mac and Linux . We will also see a free program that allows you to play Flash games without using a browser.
How to Unblock Adobe Flash in Google Chrome
In Google Chrome any content or games in Flash are automatically blocked. When this happens, a light gray box appears in the shape of a puzzle and the writing “Click to activate Flash Player ” or Adobe Flash is blocked. By clicking on the writing or on the puzzle, nothing happens.
To unblock Flash Player on Google Chrome, we have two ways described in these simple steps.
- Click on the puzzle piece icon
- Note and click on the puzzle icon on the address bar, small, on the right side.
- Click on Manage
- Press the Prevent sites from running Flash switch (recommended) to turn it on and notice that the wording changes to Ask first.
- Return to the site with the Flash box locked and press Enable or the puzzle icon again.
- Now press on Allow at the top left.
- The site reloads and this time showing the game in Flash.
If nothing happens when you click the puzzle design on the blocked site, press the button with three dots at the top right and then open the Settings
- Click on Privacy and Security on the left side.
- Click on Site Settings in the center of the page.
- Scroll down and click on Flash
- Turn on the Prevent sites from running Flash switch (recommended)
After saving this change, instead of automatically blocking access to Flash content, Google Chrome asks for permission to run the content. You can then click on Allow to unlock Flash.
If you press on Deny, the site will be considered blocked and can be unlocked by opening Chrome Settings> Site Settings> Flash and delete it from the list of blocked sites.
How to Unblock Adobe Flash in Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge is the default browser on Windows and is the preferred choice for many users. Like Google Chrome, it automatically blocks access to Flash content and games. To unlock Flash in Edge, the procedure is the same as in Chrome.
When you visit a site that uses Flash, a window appears informing you that Adobe Flash has been blocked. When this message appears, even clicking on it nothing happens. You will, however, notice, at the top of the address bar on the right side, the small puzzle icon and with a red cross above it. Press on this icon and then go to Manage .
- On the settings page, enable the Ask before running Flash option (recommended disabled) .
- Then go back to the game or Flash site and reload it.
- This time, you can click on the gray box with the puzzle design.
- After the click, click on Allow in the top left corner.
If you want to change the option to unlock Flash in Edge, press the button with three dots at the top right, then open the Settings and go, in the left column, to the Site Permissions section .
In the center of the page, press on Adobe Flash and activate the Ask first … option .
Here too, as in Chrome, allowed and blocked sites are listed in a list from which they can be removed by pressing the trash can icon.
How to Unblock Adobe Flash in Firefox
Unlike Chrome, Firefox doesn’t have built-in Flash. To run Flash on Firefox you need to download the latest version of Adobe Flash Player and install it on your PC.
- Once installed, you can open a site or game in Flash with Firefox to see the box with the usual puzzle icon and the words ” Run Adobe Flash “.
- Click the Run Adobe flash box and then press the Allow button in the upper left.
- If Flash is blocked or if you want to change the default option of “Ask before running” in Firefox, you have to press the button with three lines in the upper right corner and go to Add-ons .
- Then click on Plugins to see the external Firefox plugins and notice that there is Shockwave Flash .
- Press the button with three dots next to Shockwave Flash and then choose the Ask before activating or Never activate option . In the latter case, the Flash content box will not be clickable.
Run Flash Games on PC Without Browser
The Flashpoint program, for Windows, Mac and Linux, is a web game storage project that supports content made in Adobe Flash, Adobe Shockwave, HTML5, Java, Unity Web Player, Microsoft Silverlight, ActiveX and other Web plugins that are no longer used. The project includes three main components: a web server, redirector and launcher. All of these work in combination to create the illusion of accessing Flash content (and other technologies) on the Internet. Flashpoint offers everything you need to play classic web games. It has a library of approximately 38,000 web games and 2,400 animations.
With FlashPoint, all Flash games will still work even after the support is definitively terminated and Flash has disappeared from the browsers and from Windows.
Alternatively, you can also download and play Flash games on your PC.
- Get Free PC Software
- Malware Removal Software
- Data Recovery Software
- Computer Protection Tips
- Noad Variance TV Virus Removal
NOTE: Adobe has announced that in late 2020 it will stop Adobe Flash and Microsoft support that Flash Player will be automatically removed from Windows via an update. Flash can still be used (perhaps with some changes to this guide)